* gallery site
Studio Gallery began in 1956 when Jennie Lea Knight and Nancy Lloyd converted two rooms of a rented house on Prince Street. Alexandria. There was no Torpedo Factory. And no more than half a dozen art galleries in the metro area. In New York, Abstract Expressionism was in full swing. Washington was a wasteland. But Knight and Lloyd had canvas piling upon canvas—and a vision. They showed who they wanted when they wanted, and while they did not make a cent, they made buzz. They featured Cherokee artists, Peruvian artists, Cuban artists. Drawings and paintings (done between rehearsals and after performances) by Francisco Monción, principal dancer with the New York City Ballet. A Picasso, a Rembrandt and a Klee. Bonnards, Cézannes, Matisses, Lautrecs, Vuillards. They offered classes and poetry jams, sponsored lectures and sculpture parks. Until in 1964 an exhausted Jennie Lea put the gallery up for sale "lock, stock and mailing lists." In its first 25 years, Studio Gallery showed an estimated 2,000 artists. In 1967, the gallery moved to Dupont. In 1980, it staged erotic Valentines. There was a Thirtieth and a Fortieth Anniversary Show. Now, after fifty years, the gallery's success is still driven by the simplicity of its operation: a non-profit funded by dues from members free to do whatever they wished—excellence being the only criterion. Members who continue to do their own managing, organize their own shows and do their own spackling. Members who still create a buzz.